Saturday, April 12, 2008

Night Comes Before Morning

If I were to ask people to chronicle the events of a typical day in their diaries, most every human being would begin their day with waking up or getting out of bed. In our way of thinking, the morning always precedes the night. Our typical day would read something like:

- First, I woke up and got out of bed this morning.
- Next, I conducted my affairs X, Y, and Z during the afternoon.
- Finally, I laid down to sleep this evening.

However, this is not the biblical view of a normal day. In the fifth verse of the Bible, we are told that "there was evening, and there was morning—the first day."

According to God's calendar, a person should chronicle his day by starting in the eveving as a person lies down to sleep. Then he rises from his sleep and lives out his life. Should this pattern surprise us? We serve a God of resurrection and redemption, for whom sleep always comes before resurrection! We serve a God Who brings morning from night, light out of darkness, refreshing vitality from slumber, and life after death.

No comments: